Report on the province of Aleppo and its surroundings 05/01/2013 [SYRIA]
• Summary for 05/01/2013 :
Number of arrests: 2
Number of martyrs: 5
Number of demonstrations: -
Peaceful revolutionary activities: -
Number of demonstrations that had fire opened onto: -
Number of cases of opening fire: 11
Number of shelled places: 15
Number of times that heavy army equipment was used: -
Number of defections: 66
1) Injured and wounded:
*A’thamiyeh: a woman was injured in her leg due to Assad’s militia indiscriminately targeting passers-by at the quartermasters checkpoint [Mustawda’aat al-Tamween].
*Sabe’ Bahraat: civilians were injured due to the tank shelling.
*Masakin Hanano: a number were injured due to the artillery shelling in the evening.
2) Sabe’ Bahraat: impact of the violent shelling:
3) Dahret ‘Awad: fire broke out in a residential building near Hamza mosque due to the artillery shelling in the evening. Civilians, with the cooperation of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), are extinguishing the fire.
• Cases of gunfire:
1) Maysaloun: Assad militia snipers stationed in Babillee building in Maysaloun, opposite Maysaloun school and on the outskirts of Bab al-Hadeed neighbourhood, targeted passers-by.
2) A’thamiyeh: Assad’s militia indiscriminately targeted passers-by at the quartermasters checkpoint [Mustawda’aat al-Tamween] in the neighbourhood, where they opened fire on a woman who was crossing the road in the morning, wounding her in her leg.
3) Aleppo: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia took place around Kindee hospital.
4) Marjeh: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia.
5) Bustan al-Basha: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia.
6) Itha’ah: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia.
7) Salah al-Deen: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia.
8) New Aleppo [Halab al-Jadida]: sounds of sporadic gunfire were heard in the northern part of the neighbourhood.
9) Furqan: sounds of sporadic gunfire were heard.
10) Zahraa’: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia around the air intelligence branch [mukhabaraat] during the early hours of dawn.
11) Rural Aleppo - Kuweirs airport: violent clashes between the FSA and Assad’s militia around the military airport.
• Places that were shelled:
1) Heidariyeh: artillery shelling in the evening.
2) Kindee hospital: mortar shelling around the hospital.
3) Rahbeh: mortar shelling around the region.
4) Uwaijah: mortar shelling around the region.
5) Qadee Askar: artillery shelling of the neighbourhood.
6) Sabe’ Bahraat: violent tank shelling in the evening.
7) Dahret ‘Awad: artillery shelling in the evening.
8) Mansoura: mortar shelling in the evening.
9) Masakin Hanano: artillery shelling in the evening.
10) Sheikh Khadar: artillery shelling in the evening.
* Shelling of rural Aleppo:
11) Qubtan al-Jabal: violent artillery shelling during the early hours of dawn.
12) Basartoun: artillery shelling during the early hours of dawn.
13) Deir Jamar: artillery shelling in the late afternoon.
14) Hreitan: artillery shelling during the early hours of dawn.
15) Azaaz: artillery shelling in the evening.
1) Karam al-Turab: the body of martyr Ahmad Taher Daher, 66 years, was found alongside several other rotting corpses in Suleiman al-Halabi. He was martyred by snipers in the neighbourhood.
2) Bustan al-Basha: an unidentified martyr was sniped in the neighbourhood:
3) Rural Aleppo - Azaaz: Suhaib Khaleel was killed during clashes in Manegh military airport.
4-5) Rural Aleppo - Atareb: 2 unidentified martyrs were killed as a result of the shelling.
• Also documented:
-Leiramoun: defected military Muhammad Hussain al-Khateeb (“Al-Sahour”), 22 years, was killed during clashes near Kindee hospital. He was martyred 03/01/2013 and was a resident in Hreitan.
1) Akramiyeh: 2 young men were arrested by Assad’s men, one of whom was a displaced refugee in Mahmoud Tayfour school.
1) Aleppo: 3 soldiers from the military police in Aleppo defected:
2) Aleppo: a military personnel defected and joined the FSA:
3) Sabe’ Bahraat: a soldier defected from one of the Nufoos buildings.
4) Rural Aleppo - Kuweirs: 13 soldiers defected from inside Kuweirs military airport:
5) Rural Aleppo - Safira: battalions of the FSA secured the defection of 48 soldiers from Assad’s militia in the defence factories.
1) Firdous: a child selling hareesa (puree):
2) Aleppo: a lost mother searches for her missing children in Aleppo:
3) Rural Aleppo - Manegh airport: great fires in the leadership building [Qiyada]:
4) Rural Aleppo - Jarablus: the condition of schools in Jarablus after the revolution for freedom, in which the “nationalism” subject was removed from the curriculum:
• Delayed news and videos:
1) Bustan al-Qasr: dressing the wounds of a child who was injured in her head and hand 04/01/2013:
2) Itha’ah: recovering a rotten, unidentified body 11/12/2012:
3) Rural Aleppo - Injareh: impact of the shelling 04/01/2013:
4) Rural Aleppo - Duwairineh: shelling of a cable factory near Duwairineh area 28/12/2012:
5) Rural Aleppo - Hayyan: 03/01/2013:
-Recovering the body parts of a martyr from under the rubble 18+:
-Succouring of casualties of the shelling. Doctor Abu al-Nour Ahmad speaks to all the doctors who have given up hope:
6) Rural Aleppo - Atareb: a number of rockets fell yesterday evening, killing 2 children and injuring a man 04/01/2013.