Report on the province of Aleppo and its surroundings 01/01/2013 [SYRIA]
• Summary for 01/01/2013 :
Number of arrests: -
Number of martyrs: 9
Number of demonstrations: -
Peaceful revolutionary activities: -
Number of demonstrations that had fire opened onto: -
Number of cases of opening fire: 7
Number of shelled places: 14
Number of times that heavy army equipment was used: 1
Number of defections: 1
1) Injured and wounded:
*Karm al-Jabal: destruction in the neighbourhood:
*Ma’saranee: civilians were injured by the artillery shelling of the youth residential area in the neighbourhood.
2) Qadee Askar: impact of the artillery shelling of Blaat mosque:
3) Karm al-Jabal: impact of the shelling:
4) Important - Aleppo: Assad’s militia attacked civilians by hitting the bridge at the air intelligence, at the end of Nazlet Adonis. Activists describe that the majority of those attacked were civilians from Aleppo countryside.
5) Tareeq al-Bab: impact of the indiscriminate shelling:
6) Safa: impact of the aerial shelling of a school specialised in teaching Quran:
7) Madina souq: fires spread in Fustuq square due to regime forces firing incendiary, explosive bullets on shops.
8) Rural Aleppo - Mare’: cluster bombs that shelled the city:
-Some of the rockets that did not explode:
• Cases of gunfire:
1) Sakhour: clashes took place between the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and Assad’s militia from the direction of Suleiman al-Halabi and Karm al-Jabal.
2) Aleppo: sounds of clashes and violent explosions were heard during the early hours of dawn in the districts of A’thamiyeh, Muhafatha, Sha’ar and the municipal palace [Qasr al-Baladi].
3) Aleppo: strong explosions shook Aziziyeh in the evening, thought to be from al-Hazazeh neighbourhood.
4) New Aleppo [Halab al-Jadida]: artillery shelling that targeted the liberated districts was heard, in conjunction with violent clashes in the area of al-Sanem roundabout in the neighbourhood.
5) Sabe’ Bahraat: clashes took place between the FSA & Assad’s militia.
6) ‘Awameed: clashes took place between the FSA & Assad’s militia.
7) Rural Aleppo - Safira: clashes took place between the FSA & Assad’s militia at the entrance of al-Waha (oasis), near the defence factories.
• Places that were shelled:
1) Masakin Hanano: warplane shelling in the evening.
2) Myassar: artillery shelling in the evening.
3) Ma’saranee: artillery shelling of the youth residential area in the district in the afternoon.
4) Eastern Ansaree: 2 shells fell in the neighbourhood.
5) Firdous: artillery shelling in the evening.
6) Sikaree: 2 artillery shells fell in the evening.
7) Jalloum: artillery shelling in the evening.
8) Tareeq al-Bab: artillery shelling in the late afternoon.
* Shelling of rural Aleppo:
9) Al-Bab: violent artillery shelling during the early hours of dawn, which was renewed in the evening.
10) Safira: shelling in the afternoon and a renewal of artillery shelling in the evening.
-Smoke rising due to the shelling:
11) Mare’: warplane shelling in the afternoon.
12) Hayyan: warplanes carried out 2 air raids on the town in the late afternoon.
13) Anadan: warplane shelling in the late afternoon.
14) Atareb: warplane shelling in the evening.
15) Tadef: artillery shelling in the evening.
• Number of times that heavy army equipment was seen (tanks/armoured vehicles/jets):
1) Rural Aleppo: warplanes dropped thermal balloons on top of the police school:
1) Ashrafiyeh: activist Ahmad al-Sheikh Muhammad, 35 years with 1 child and a philosophy teacher, was summarily executed after he was kidnapped from his house by security personnel. His body was found disposed of on the outskirts of the neighbourhood:
2) Ma’adee: Ahmad Ja’na, 30 years, was killed by snipers stationed at the municipal palace at Hijaz garage.
3) Rural Aleppo - Tel Rif’at: Abdul-Wahhab Darbas was killed during clashes in Aleppo:
4) Rural Aleppo - Hreitan: Abdul-Kareem Salah Aqra’, 18 years, was killed during clashes near the air intelligence in Aleppo.
5) Rural Aleppo - al-Bab: Muhammad Abu Mousa was killed during clashes in Kuwaires military airport:
6) Rural Aleppo - al-Bab: Ibrahim Abu Zaid was killed during clashes in Kuwaires military airport:
7) Rural Aleppo - Tel Hasel: Ibn Abdo Turkee, 16 years, was killed by snipers stationed in the air defence battalion, when he was collecting logs with his mother.
8) Rural Aleppo - Kaljibreen: Usama As’ad Hussain was killed during clashes in Tel Hasel.
9) Rural Aleppo - Minbej: defected military Saif-ul-Deen Abdullah al-Bansha was killed during clashes in Mo’dhamiyet al-Sham.
1) Chief judge Badr-ud-Deen Bilal, head of the governorates of Aleppo and Idlib, defected from the government:
1) Aleppo: smoke rising from the old districts:
2) Aleppo - Sad al-Lawz road: Assad’s snipers stationed near Sakhour roundabout when the neighbourhood became emptied of its inhabitants:
3) Masakin Hanano: the state of parks amid the lack of means for heating:
4) Tareeq al-Bab: children gathering shell fragments:
5) Rural Aleppo - Atareb: warplanes dropped materials with foul smells.
• Delayed news and videos:
1) Myassar: a long clip of the impact of the shelling 31/12/2012:
2) Bustan al-Qasr: a civilian was injured near Huthaifa Bin al-Yaman mosque 30/12/2012: